Volvo's global creative account up for review
LONDON - Volvo is reviewing its global creative account, which is held by Euro RSCG in the US and Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO in the UK.
Euro RSCG has held the Volvo creative account in the US since 1991. Although Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO is the agency of record in this country, the car maker also runs US-made ads in the UK.
Reports of the review follow the appointment of a new chief executive at Volvo, Frederick Arp. The car maker is also struggling with falling sales, like many other manufacturers.
It has plans to launch seven new models over the next four years and could be looking to plan global campaigns to back these new models.
Euro RSCG formed a specialist automotive ad division, Fuel North America, after the 1998 win of Volvo's US regional dealer account. The agency then landed portions of Volvo Car Corporation's estimated $150m global account in 2000.
The agency also landed Volvo's Indian advertising and communications strategy account in October, while Euro RSCG London holds the account for car maker Peugeot.
In 2004 Volvo hit headlines with an ad shot in the style of a documentary that purported to be a real account of the Swedish village Dalaro, where 32 people all bought a new Volvo S40 on the same day. It was revealed to be a spoof by US film director Spike Jonze. The spot was created by MVBMS Fuel Europe.
Roth Associates is handling the review.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Account Executive Adam Recruitment £18000 - £23000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, Liverpool
- Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £20000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits, Manchester
- Search Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £20000 - £24000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, Manchester
- Lead Designer (Print, Agency, Conceptual, Typography, ATL, BTL) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, London