Volvo's global creative account up for review
LONDON - Volvo is reviewing its global creative account, which is held by Euro RSCG in the US and Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO in the UK.
Euro RSCG has held the Volvo creative account in the US since 1991. Although Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO is the agency of record in this country, the car maker also runs US-made ads in the UK.
Reports of the review follow the appointment of a new chief executive at Volvo, Frederick Arp. The car maker is also struggling with falling sales, like many other manufacturers.
It has plans to launch seven new models over the next four years and could be looking to plan global campaigns to back these new models.
Euro RSCG formed a specialist automotive ad division, Fuel North America, after the 1998 win of Volvo's US regional dealer account. The agency then landed portions of Volvo Car Corporation's estimated $150m global account in 2000.
The agency also landed Volvo's Indian advertising and communications strategy account in October, while Euro RSCG London holds the account for car maker Peugeot.
In 2004 Volvo hit headlines with an ad shot in the style of a documentary that purported to be a real account of the Swedish village Dalaro, where 32 people all bought a new Volvo S40 on the same day. It was revealed to be a spoof by US film director Spike Jonze. The spot was created by MVBMS Fuel Europe.
Roth Associates is handling the review.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Mid Weight Graphic Designer - Consumer agency JEFFERSON £28-35k plus benefits, SE Surrey
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Senior Digital Delivery Manager Harvey Nash £55000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Assistant Buyer - Global Tech Brand Aquent Up to £49,000 Dependent on Skills and experience, London
- Senior Digital Operations Manager Harvey Nash £50000 per annum + package, Nottingham