Dawn Airey to leave Sky for start-up in the New Year
LONDON - Sky has confirmed that Dawn Airey, its managing director of channels and services, is to leave the broadcaster next year to take up the position of chief executive at start-up media company Iostar.
Airey, who joined Sky in January 2003, will continue to play a significant role at Sky until spring 2007 and support the transition to a new management structure.
Mike Darcey, chief operating officer, will assume responsibility for Sky's advertising sales, broadband internet portal, joint ventures, channel distribution agreements and commercial relationships with third-party channels.
Vic Wakeling, managing director of Sky Sports, will add responsibility for Sky News to his existing role.
Sky said a further announcement will be made in due course in respect of Sky's portfolio of entertainment assets in television and other platforms, including Sky One, Sky Two, Sky Three, Sky Movies, Sky Travel and Artsworld.
Airey is one is one of the most powerful women in television, reputed to earn £1m a year for her contract with Sky, and looks after programming on a series of channels at the network including Sky One, Sky Movies and Sky Travel.
James Murdoch, Sky's chief executive, said: "Dawn has made a significant contribution to Sky's appeal to millions of customers. She has been a valued colleague and a trusted friend. When the time comes, we will wish her well for the future."
Airey has been reported to be in the running for the vacant chief executive job at ITV, along with several other high-profile candidates, ranging from former Channel 4 boss Michael Jackson to United International Pictures UK chairman and chief executive Stewart Till.
Prior to joining Sky, she was director of programmes for Channel 5, now Five.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London
- Marketing & PR Executive Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment To £23,500, West Sussex