Prada joins the mobile market with exclusive LG phone
MILAN - Italian fashion house Prada has set its designers the unusual task of designing a mobile phone.
Prada will put its internationally renowned brand name to a new phone it has developed in collaboration with LG Electronics.
In a move that echoes Nokia's decision to call on designer Cath Kidston to customise its phones, LG is hoping to win over consumers by giving an existing LG phone a fashionable makeover.
The phone will have an "avant-garde" design and features new software and music functions. It will be launched in Europe early next year, followed by distribution throughout Asia.
Patrizio Bertelli, president and CEO of Prada, said: "As we do ready-to-wear and accessories, we were looking at a break-through.
"Consistently with our approach, we are not branding an existing product; rather, we have been working with LG to give this new phone a very strong character and unique style, both in its contents and in its design."
Other luxury fashion brands have been similarly keen to branch out and extend their label to new technology projects.
Dolce & Gabbana worked with Motorola to produce a gold Razr phone last year and Cath Kidston more recently developed a range of vintage-inspired Nokia phones.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Business Development Manager - Augmented #AR Reality Digital Gurus £30000 - £45000 per annum + OTE Commission & Package, England
- Financial Client Service Director Elizabeth Norman International £10000 - £60000 Per Annum, London
- Head of Business Developement Elizabeth Norman International £60000 - £100000 Per Annum, London