Jetix report reveals habits and tastes of Europe's children
LONDON - Games consoles, TVs and mobile phones have eclipsed clothes and toys among consumer items favoured by children, according to a survey among seven- to 14-year-olds by European children's televison network Jetix Europe.
The 'Kidometer' survey aims to provide in-depth knowledge of the lives of 7- to 14-year-olds in 10 European countries.
The research addresses how children spend their time and money and collates views on what children consider to be 'cool' in terms of people, products, words and advertising.
The majority of children surveyed said they helped family members make purchasing decisions on holidays and computers among other things.
Unsurprisingly, the survey found that children are using a range of platforms for entertainment and reveal a growing desire to spend more time gaming on various consoles. However, despite the many different platforms for entertainment now available, TV was still the favourite and the medium where they were most likely to be exposed to advertising.
In terms of material items, technological equipment ranked highest in terms of what is important for children, ahead of traditional items including clothes and toys.
The research involved 500 children divided equally by age group and gender. The online research is to be repeated each year in March and October.
Jean-Paul Wevers, sales director for Jetix Europe, said: "Communicating with kids across Europe is a complicated business. They are notoriously fickle yet are becoming increasingly influential consumers. Kidometer lifts the lid on this audience, providing real insight into kids' lives, and unlocking the secrets to creating truly engaging marketing for this target group."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Senior UX/IA Mobile Designer - 3 Month Contract - London Network Career Consultants £300 - £350 per day, London
- Junior Account Executive Pitch Consultants £15000 - £18000 per annum, Birmingham
- French Speaking Graphic designer | Corporate communications - Global Healthcare Brand Aquent Competitive day rate, Hertfordshire
- Client Services Director - Full-Service Digital Agency Silverdrum to £55,000 + benefits, London