Tesco targets consumers in criticism over price promotions
LONDON - Tesco, the UK's largest retailer, has taken the unprecedented move of offering thousands of customers nearly one-third off their weekly shop in the run-up to Christmas, and may face a possible backlash from the Competition Commission over the price promotion.
According to a report in the Daily Telegraph, Tesco has contacted 80,000 people using its Tesco Clubcard database to encourage regular Tesco customers, who are known to avoid shopping at the store during Christmas, sending them a free £5 gift voucher and a voucher entitling them to an £18 discount on at least a £70 shop during the run-up to the festive season.
A spokesman for Tesco said that the promotion was a national one, but was only targeting a small portion of its potential customer base.
In May, the Office of Fair Trading requested that the groceries market should be investigated over aggressive competition and price promotion.
The news is the latest criticism the supermarket has received in recent months about aggressive moves to cut prices.
Earlier this month, the retailer, along with fellow high street stores Primark and Asda, came under fire from charity War On Want. The charity accused the retailers of employing workers in Bangladesh, who are regularly working 80 hours a week for just 5p an hour in what the charity described as "potential death trap factories" to produce cheap clothes for British consumers.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London