Individual call centre staff charged with DNC violations
NEW YORK - Individual sales marketing team members have been fined $100,000 for violating Do Not Call provisions by calling those who appeared on the national DNC register in an attempt to sell DirecTV satellite television subscriptions.
In December 2005, the Federal Trade Commission charged California-based DirecTV and other defendants that telemarketed on DirecTV's behalf with violating the DNC rule and US Telemarketing Sales Rule by calling consumers despite the numbers appearing on the national DNC registry. Only now have the court settlements been finalised and figures made public.
Court orders require the defendants to pay the $100,000 (£51,000) fine and bar them from future Telemarketing Sales Rule violations. In settling the charges, DirecTV paid $5.3m, which represents the largest ever DNC penalty obtained by the FTC.
Defendant Global Satellite also violated the Telemarketing Sales Rule by using pre-recorded telemarketing messages that resulted in abandoned calls. Under the Telemarketing Sales Rule, each abandoned call is a violation if not connected to a live operator within two seconds after the consumer answers.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Digital Account Director Twist Recruitment £50000.00 - £55000.00 per annum + great benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Brand Manager - Drinks Trace c. £58k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / Surrey / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West)...
- Senior International Agency Sales Manager - Mobile Salt £70000 per annum + strong bonus and great bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Research Director - Consumer Tech Trace £80k to £110k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), Londo...
- Head of Marketing The RSA Circa £60,000 per annum (commensurate with skills and experience) + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)