Individual call centre staff charged with DNC violations
NEW YORK - Individual sales marketing team members have been fined $100,000 for violating Do Not Call provisions by calling those who appeared on the national DNC register in an attempt to sell DirecTV satellite television subscriptions.
In December 2005, the Federal Trade Commission charged California-based DirecTV and other defendants that telemarketed on DirecTV's behalf with violating the DNC rule and US Telemarketing Sales Rule by calling consumers despite the numbers appearing on the national DNC registry. Only now have the court settlements been finalised and figures made public.
Court orders require the defendants to pay the $100,000 (£51,000) fine and bar them from future Telemarketing Sales Rule violations. In settling the charges, DirecTV paid $5.3m, which represents the largest ever DNC penalty obtained by the FTC.
Defendant Global Satellite also violated the Telemarketing Sales Rule by using pre-recorded telemarketing messages that resulted in abandoned calls. Under the Telemarketing Sales Rule, each abandoned call is a violation if not connected to a live operator within two seconds after the consumer answers.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Head of SEO & Content Marketing - Cheshire ASG £30,000 - £40,000 , Cheshire/ Merseyside