Sustainable print service targets DM firms
LONDON - DM agencies have the prospect of helping their clients run carbon-neutral campaigns after the launch of an environmentally friendly print service.
Responsible Print is the idea of Brighton-based printing firm Four Corners, founded by Lena Johansson.
For an item to receive the Responsible Print carbon-balanced supply chain logo, it must be printed by a printer who is certified carbon balanced and has ISO 14001 accreditation.
It must also be printed on paper that has 50% recycled content with vegetable-based inks, and any gloss or matt laminates must be biodegradable and compostable. The paper usage, including production waste, must be measured and a payment made to offset the carbon dioxide emission.
Johansson feels that, with the manufacturing of one tonne of paper producing as much as four tonnes of carbon dioxide, print specialists have an obligation to advise clients on ethical practices.
Although she acknowledges that sustainable printing may cost a bit more money, Johansson believes that if enough consumers demand sustainable solutions, suppliers will have to adapt their production methods.
Johansson said: "We are trying to promote sustainable print buying habits, while keeping an eye on the budget. If it does end up costing a bit more, think of it as buying organic -- slightly more expensive but so much better for you."
More information on the service can be found at responsibleprint.info.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Consultant Brand Strategy Rare Selection £45- £68K + benefits, Central London
- Senior Brand Planner / Brand Strategist Rare Selection Up to £55K + benefits, Central London