Alex Zane returns to Xfm for Friday breakfast show
LONDON - Alex Zane is set to join GCap Media's alternative station Xfm as the new presenter of its Friday breakfast show, replacing Shaun Keaveny, who is leaving for BBC 6Music.
Zane previously hosted a weekend show on the station before taking a break to present 'Popworld' on Channel 4. He will start his new show, broadcast between 6am and 10am, on Friday January 5 2007, complementing Lauren Laverne, who presents the breakfast show from Monday to Thursday in the same slot.
His show is part of Xfm's "Fridays are different" initiative, which GCap Media says is "designed to put listeners in the mood for the weekend by creating a completely different feel from the rest of the week".
The strategy includes different DJs, Xfm's indie anthem show 'The Weekender' and big prize giveaways throughout the day.
Ande Macpherson, Xfm's network programme director, said: "Alex was the obvious choice for the job. Firstly, Lauren thinks he's great, he's coming back to his radio home and he lives and breathes new music. We thought it was about time he got back on air."
Alex is one of three new DJs joining the Xfm London line-up in January. Comedian and former Xfm Manchester DJ Paul Tonkinson will host the afternoon show, which includes Xfm's request hour 'The X-List', and Steve Harris will take on Xfm's new-music show 'Music:Response'.
In the most recent third-quarter results from official radio measurement body Rajar, the breakfast show on Xfm lost weekly audience reach, dropping 44,000 to 283,000.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London