Alex Zane returns to Xfm for Friday breakfast show
LONDON - Alex Zane is set to join GCap Media's alternative station Xfm as the new presenter of its Friday breakfast show, replacing Shaun Keaveny, who is leaving for BBC 6Music.
Zane previously hosted a weekend show on the station before taking a break to present 'Popworld' on Channel 4. He will start his new show, broadcast between 6am and 10am, on Friday January 5 2007, complementing Lauren Laverne, who presents the breakfast show from Monday to Thursday in the same slot.
His show is part of Xfm's "Fridays are different" initiative, which GCap Media says is "designed to put listeners in the mood for the weekend by creating a completely different feel from the rest of the week".
The strategy includes different DJs, Xfm's indie anthem show 'The Weekender' and big prize giveaways throughout the day.
Ande Macpherson, Xfm's network programme director, said: "Alex was the obvious choice for the job. Firstly, Lauren thinks he's great, he's coming back to his radio home and he lives and breathes new music. We thought it was about time he got back on air."
Alex is one of three new DJs joining the Xfm London line-up in January. Comedian and former Xfm Manchester DJ Paul Tonkinson will host the afternoon show, which includes Xfm's request hour 'The X-List', and Steve Harris will take on Xfm's new-music show 'Music:Response'.
In the most recent third-quarter results from official radio measurement body Rajar, the breakfast show on Xfm lost weekly audience reach, dropping 44,000 to 283,000.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Marketing Assistant Tomorrow Recruitment £18k - £22k, Central London
- Bids Executive Network Marketing £25000 - £30000 per annum, Manchester
- Senior Bids Exec / Bid Manager Network Marketing £35000 - £45000 per annum, Manchester
- Account Manager-Corporate Display Advertising Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum + excellent bonus & benefits, London