Drunk 'idiots' used to highlight dangers of drink driving
LONDON - JWT London has created two new ads specifically targeting those who drink and drive at Christmas. The creative, made for MTV in conjunction with Autotrader will be shown on MTV and VH1 networks as well as through viral advertising.
"Idiots" is a fresh approach to drink driving commercials. Set in the back of a taxi, it shows people with a lack of control when drunk. All done in fairly humorous way, the twist at the end makes you realise how stupid you would be to drink and drive. Scenes show differing states of drunkenness including a woman vomiting and a young man picking a fight with the driver. Set to the tune of 'Jingle Bells', the ad ends on the line "The real idiots drive themselves home".
"Twelve days" takes the viewer through a catalogue of injuries caused by people hitting pedestrians, but especially children, when drink driving. The carol is sung by children and changes the lyrics of 'The 12 days of Christmas' to fit in with the theme of the ad, for example: "On the 12th day of Christmas a drink driver gave to me, 12 months in traction, 11 weeks on crutches, 10 operations..."
MTV donated free airtime to show the ads, which are also available to view on YouTube.
This year also marks the 30th anniversary of Department for Transport's annual Christmas drink-drive initiative. Leo Burnett's ad "crash" is in its second year on TV, now with added interactivity by way of Bluetooth messaging to those deemed most likely to drink drive over Christmas.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London