ITV commissions Cowell-fronted Grease reality show
LONDON - ITV is to screen a Simon Cowell-fronted reality television talent show to find the next stars of hit musical 'Grease' for a London West End production that will open in 2007.
The broadcaster said it would be conducting a nationwide search to find the next Sandy Dumbrowski and Danny Zuko, with the finalists to be judged by theatre producer David Ian, who will also produce the final West End version with Paul Nicholas.
The show will be up against the BBC's forthcoming 'Any Dream Will Do', hosted by Graham Norton, which will aim to find a lead to play Joseph in 'Joseph and His Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat'.
Cowell said: "'Grease' in my opinion is the best musical of all time and I am incredibly excited to be given this opportunity."
There are currently no details on when the new 'Grease' TV show is likely to be screened, but it will be the third high-profile musical to get the talent show treatment on terrestrial, following BBC One's 'How Do You Solve a Problem like Maria?'.
Duncan Gray, controller of entertainment at ITV, said: "'Grease' and ITV are a perfect fit -- the hunt for the new Sandy and Danny to star in the world's best known musical produced by a crack team behind 'The X Factor'".
The deal between Cowell's Syco TV and talkbackThames was brokered by Ron Taft on behalf of James Jacobs and Warren Casey, who own the US stage show rights. ITV are in the process of discussing the stage show with actors union Equity.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! to £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London