Jade axed from Comic Relief after Celeb BB racist allegations
LONDON - Jade Goody, the 'Celebrity Big Brother' contestant, has been axed from a scheduled appearance in this year's charity fundraising programme 'Comic Relief' on BBC One.
This year's 'Celebrity Big Brother' was marred by comments made to fellow contestant, Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty by Goody, with jibes such as calling Shetty 'Shilpa Poppadom'.
More than 40,000 people complained to the media regulator Ofcom about comments made by Goody and fellow contestants, former Miss Great Britain Danielle Lloyd and former S-Club singer Jo O'Meara. Carphone Warehouse suspended its £3m sponsorship of the show due to its concerns about their behaviour.
'Comic Relief' producers had already filmed a spoof of hit BBC One show 'A Question of Sport' with the reality television star appearing beside comedians Jack Dee and Frank Skinner, to air as part of Red Nose Day on Friday March 16.
An official Comic Relief spokesman said that the slot would not be broadcast due to it being "out of date", saying: "Red Nose Day is all about raising money and anything that could potentially detract from this is not helpful."
The jibes caused an international incident, which led to UK chancellor Gordon Brown having to answer concerns raised by the Indian government while on a diplomatic trip to India.
At the end of this year's series, Shetty romped home to victory in the live final of the show. Registering an unprecedented 63% of the total vote, Shetty quashed the racist controversy that had dogged the series, stating "I just want to thank Great Britain".
She said that she forgave Goody, Lloyd and O'Meara for their treatment of her.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Senior Digital Delivery Manager Harvey Nash £55000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Assistant Buyer - Global Tech Brand Aquent Up to £49,000 Dependent on Skills and experience, London
- Senior Digital Operations Manager Harvey Nash £50000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Marketing Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, London