Sega brings virtual tennis to the London Underground
LONDON - Sega is promoting the launch of its game Virtua Tennis 3 for the PS3 through a campaign screened on CBS Outdoors' digital escalator panels on the Underground, which features the likes of Maria Sharapova and Andy Roddick slogging it out.
Designed by content specialist Grand Visual, the campaign consists of a 20-second virtual tennis mixed-doubles rally on escalator screens at Tottenham Court Road, Charing Cross, Paddington and Euston Tube stations.
It coincides with the launch of the Sony PlayStation3 in the UK on Friday.
Sharapova and Roddick feature on the up escalator panels, playing against Amelie Mauresmo and Roger Federer on the down escalator panels opposite. The aim is to create the impression that commuters are passing through a vast virtual tennis match.
In-between the tennis rally, alternating screens play sequences from in-game footage, with all the screens synchronising at the end to show a 3D pack shot.
Phil Lamb, UK product manager at Sega Europe, said: "Virtua Tennis 3 is one of the core launch titles for the PS3 so we wanted an element in our campaign that would convey the stunning visual detail and fluid movement of the game while impacting consumers in a shopping environment."
Neil Morris, managing director of Grand Visual, added: "Obviously gaming lends itself well to this medium where the action, movement and excitement of a video game can be replicated but on a larger scale."
The campaign runs from March 26 for two weeks, coinciding with the release of the game on March 23, and supports a nationwide outdoor and TV campaign planned by Target Media and booked through Posterscope.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Brand Consultant / Strategist Royds Raphael £80k-£90k+neg dep. on experience, London
- Senior Account Manager - Account Manager - Branding, Contract & Permanent Royds Raphael £38k-£44k / £170-£190 day rate. Permanent and/or contract role, London
- Head of Lead Generation - Full-Service Agency Silverdrum to £60,000 + benefits, London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, Midlands