OMD scoops £24m combined HMV and Waterstone's media account
LONDON - OMD UK has been awarded the £24m consolidated media account for high street retailers HMV and Waterstone's in a final shoot out against fellow incumbent PHD, MediaCom and Starcom.
OMD UK already handled the £19m HMV business and will now add the £5m Waterstone's brief, which was previously held by sister Omnicom agency PHD.
Graham Sim, marketing director at HMV, oversaw the review process, and is believed not to have appointed an intermediary agency to handle the account.
The HMV Group owns Waterstone's and 730 stores in eight countries. All of the stores are wholly owned by the group, both in the UK and internationally.
The media review followed financial results from HMV showing a first-half loss of £31.8m.
In December, HMV issued a warning that its Christmas sales would be lower than expected, owing to a weak music chart and competition from music file downloading. However, in the five weeks to January 6, the retailer did manage to improve group sales by 10.3%.
Last year, HMV held a creative review that added Quiet Storm to its roster. The agency created a brand campaign that ran last autumn. The agency Beechwood also works on creative projects for the retailer.
HMV is famous for its dog and trumpet symbol, one of the best known brand indentities on the UK high street.
Earlier this month, OMD UK triumphed in a pitch for Royal Mail's £18m media business Royal following a lengthy pitch process against the ten year incumbent Carat. Royal Mail has split media duties with sister Omnicom agency WWAV Rapp Collins.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Category Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, Sputh East
- Regional Assistant Brand Manager- Europe Ball & Hoolahan £25,000 per annum, South East