McCann Erickson wins £10m Evening Standard account
LONDON - The Evening Standard has appointed McCann Erickson as its advertising agency following a five-way pitch.
The account will move from The Law Firm immediately, less than a year since it was appointed in November. However, The Law Firm still holds the £22m account for sister Associated Newspapers title The Daily Mail.
The Law Firm pitched for the account along with Miles Calcraft Briginshaw Duffy and two other undisclosed agencies.
The pitch was conducted through the AAR and run by Charlie Edelman, head of marketing for the Evening Standard.
Edelman said: "The competition for the Evening Standard advertising contract was extremely close, but we felt that McCann Erickson offered the right combination of strategic insight and creative flair."
The McCanns advertising strategy is expected to expand on the Evening Standard's recent positioning as London's "quality paper" as a point of difference to the freesheets.
The paper was hit by the simultaneous launch of News International's thelondonpaper and Associated's own London Lite last September, and raised its cover price from 40p to 50p just before their arrival.
Its six-month average circulation has dropped 18% over the past year to 268,262 copies.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London