UK holidaymakers look to the web for travel advice
LONDON - UK holidaymakers favour online travel research over travel agencies, according to new findings.
The research, carried out for digital consultants Logan Tod by YouGov, revealed that 31% of UK adults plan to conduct all of their holiday planning, including bookings, online in 2008. Only 4% questioned said they plan to avoid the internet for travel purposes in this period.
The study revealed that 40% had not visited a travel agent in the last two years.
Matthew Tod, CEO of Logan Tod, said: "Our research found people are using the internet when booking holidays because of its easier and quicker nature, the ability to find better prices online and the fact that an online travel agent is open at all hours."
However, Logan Tod did does not see its findings as an opportunity for the online travel market to rest on its laurels.
Tod said: "With so many people already using the internet when planning their holidays, online travel companies can no longer rely on market growth to fuel sales. The market is about to become far more competitive."
The study also revealed that Britons place far greater trust in friends, family and fellow travellers than travel agents, books or newspapers when seeking travel advice.
Tod argues that the study underlines the need for travel agents to invest in websites and ensure that the planning and booking process was quick and simple as possible.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London