Carling takes voyage to outer space in £14m push
LONDON - Carling is launching a £14m TV campaign inspired by '2001: A Space Odyssey', which introduces the line 'You know who your mates are'.
The Beattie McGuinness Bungay-created campaign follows on from the agency's first TV ad for the brand last year, in which a flock of starlings flying in patterns across the sky were set to a track by the group Hard-Fi.
The first of two new ads, called "space", features a group of friends on a spaceship in a distant galaxy. It shows them wearing spacesuits similar to the distinctive orange spacesuits worn in Stanley Kubrick's 1968 sci-fi classic.
The humorous 60-second spot shows the group about to enter a psychedelic star gate, not unlike the one which appears in the Kubrick movie, only to discover that one of the group is barred from entering for wearing trainers.
A booming disembodied voice intones: "I'm sorry I don't make the rules. The rest of you are all right."
However, the group decide to abandon the life-changing trip to stay with their friend. As one of the group says, "We're not leaving him". The ad ends with the strapline: "You know who your mates are".
The ad was directed by Fredrik Bond through Sonny London, and will be followed by a second ad -- "explorer" -- in which the same group lead a British Polar expedition in the 19th century.
The CGI special effects in the ad were created by the Moving Picture Company, better known for creating the special effects in this year's British sci-fi movie 'Sunshine'.
Trevor Beattie, founding partner at Beattie McGuinness Bungay, said: "'You know who your mates are' takes our Belong campaign to a new level. We've put together a band of five mates who are set to have all manner of adventures through time and space.
"We'd all like to think our mates would go to the ends of the earth for us. These fellas do just that."
Martin Coyle, brand director at Coors Brewers, said: "These new ads reflect Carling's position as the most sociable beer brand in the UK."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London