MMA stresses need for responsible mobile marketing in Asia Pacific
HONG KONG - The Mobile Marketing Association today releases a set of guidelines in a move to establish best practice for marketers in Asia Pacific.
In drafting the guidelines, the APAC Mobile Advertising Committee (established by the MMA earlier this year) hopes to educate brands and marketers in the region as to the potential of the medium, build consistency, and steer mobile marketing towards a positive consumer experience, avoiding at all costs bombardment of the public with unwanted messages.
"It's very important to follow these guidelines," said Ogilvy's Ken Mandel, MMA APAC vice-chairman. "There's a great opportunity in mobile marketing, but if you target people in the wrong way, there will be a backlash."
Mandel described the mobile network as a "complex ecosystem", whose channels are owned by operators, in contrast to the Internet. He noted that the Internet itself is still in its infancy, and stressed that the MMA's best practice guidelines would help avoid the confusion and missed opportunities witnessed in the early days of online advertising.
He stressed that marketers should not view the mobile medium as an isolated channel, nor as merely a sub-section of digital, noting that due to the personal nature of mobile phones, mobile marketing can act as a highly effective amplifier of more traditional advertising such as print.
This article was first published on Media Asia
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Marketing Manager - South West Stopgap £39000 - £47000 per annum, South West England