Blur and McCartney offer tuition in DVD giveaway
LONDON - Arts Council England has launched a free DVD music tuition giveaway to encourage more young people to take up a musical instrument, featuring lessons from Blur, Magic Numbers, Sir Paul McCartney and KT Tunstall.
The campaign, which launches today, is part of Art Council England's Now Play It initiative, and offers a free DVD to the first 10,000 subscribers.
The DVD features step-by-step tuition on how to play hit songs from a range of pop and rock acts.
The artists giving lessons include McCartney performing 'Ever Present Past', Blur drummer Dave Rowntree playing 'Coffee & TV', KT Tunstall playing guitar on 'I Don't Want You Now', The Magic Numbers' 'Take A Chance' and The Dandy Warhols' performing 'Bohemian Like You'.
The DVD scheme, named "Take it Away" (a McCartney song title), also offers young musicians the chance to apply for an interest free loan worth up £2,000 to buy musical equipment.
Arts Council England said that around £1.5m worth of new instruments had been bought since the scheme launched in the summer.
The launch is being supported by a MySpaceTV campaign, which will promote the initiative on its website.
Ant Cauchi, founder of Now Play It, said the campaign "had been developed to provide an instant and engaging way of learning for budding musicians.
"The free sampler will help thousands of people learn the songs they love with the added bonus material that offers advice on everything from chord progression and musical technique to the best equipment to use."
Rowntree, Blur's drummer, added: "Instruments and music tuition can be expensive, especially for young people, so it's fantastic to be involved and help the budding rock stars of tomorrow."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Midweight Creative Team - digital and direct The Industry Club London Ltd £35,000, Central London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire