Kidman wins Chanel libel case against Telegraph
LONDON - Nicole Kidman has won a libel lawsuit against The Daily Telegraph for a story it published claiming she prefers to wear a different perfume to the Chanel No.5 fragrance which she gets paid to promote.
The article ran on November 28 in the paper's Spy column and reported that Kidman, while in London to promote her new film, 'The Golden Compass', had angered Chanel by attending press junkets with a bottle of Jo Malone, her "favourite perfume".
It reported that Kidman was seen openly promoting the competitor's product and applying the perfume inbetween her interviews.
Kidman became the face of Chanel in 2003 when she signed a multimillion-pound contract.
John Kelly, Kidman's solicitor, told London's High Court that the 40-year-old Oscar winner had suffered considerable embarrassment and distress over the story.
Kelly said that the story meant that Kidman had acted in an unprofessional and disloyal manner by snubbing Chanel, had broken the terms of her contractual obligations and had proved she could not be trusted to honour them.
The Daily Telegraph did concede that the allegations were "invented" by the source and agreed to pay undisclosed libel damages, as well as paying Kidman's legal fees.
The broadsheet has issued a published apology and printed a retraction as per the terms of the settlement. Kidman is reportedly donating the money to Unifem, the United Nations Development Fund for Women.
David Price, the newspaper's solicitor-advocate, sincerely apologised on its behalf.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- PPC Executive - Leading Digital Marketing Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account Director - FMCG & Retail to £55k Network Career Consultants £48000 - £55000 per annum, City of London