Three tips for a Happy Christmas email campaign
Christmas is just around the corner and many ISPs are ramping up their anti-spam programmes to make sure that consumers inboxes are filled with only the messages they want to receive this festive season, writes Simone Barratt, managing director of eDialog.
That means it's also a good time for email marketers to make sure they're doing all they can to safeguard their good reputation. So here are three simple but effective steps e-mail marketers should take before sending out their Christmas e-mail campaigns this year.
Firstly, address your list hygiene issues. Make sure that your list contains only clean, deliverable email addresses. High bounce rates stand out to ISPs and can affect your reputation, causing future deliverability issues.
Secondly, make sure you're relevant. People who haven't opened, clicked, or responded to your e-mails in 12 or more months are probably no longer engaged with your brand. They need to be treated very differently from active customers. This is the ideal time to try a reactivation campaign. Make them a special offer to get them back on board and they'll be more likely to stay engaged through the crucial Christmas sales period. Exclude the non-responders from your Christmas mailings. The deadbeats are where the undeliverables, complainers, and spam traps are hiding. OK, you might lose a percentage of your list, but you can be sure that those who remain are actually of value to your company.
And thirdly, if you aren't already, consider using authentication services such as SPF, SenderID, and DomainKeys. AOL, Microsoft, Yahoo, Gmail and others are putting far more emphasis on this today than they have in the past. For the first time, SPF checks are appearing in content filter tests, meaning legitimate email marketers with out-of-date records may see their deliverability impacted. These authentication programmes aren't foolproof, but they'll go a long way towards keeping you out of trouble and in the inbox this Christmas.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London
- Middleweight Designer become £36K, Central London