MTV partners with Bruckheimer to launch game studio
LONDON - MTV and Jerry Bruckheimer, the award-winning producer behind 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and 'Top Gun', is to launch a videogame development centre.
The multi-year partnership will see a Jerry Bruckheimer Games team working with MTV to create games based on original ideas.
Bruckheimer said that he wants to do for videogames what he has done for other well-defined genres of content.
He said: "It's no different than what we did with movies. We did 'Top Gun' when everyone said you couldn't do an aviation movie because they all failed. We did a pirate movie when they said pirate movies aren't going to work."
Jeff Yapp, executive vice-president of programming enterprises for MTV Networks Music Group, said that the move will help to establish MTV Games as a major player, ready to contend with gaming heavyweights like Activision and Electronic Arts.
It follows MTV's acquisition of music game developer Harmonix and the publishing of 'Rock Band'.
Earlier this year, MTV Networks, owned by Viacom, said that it planned to invest over $500m (£250m) in developing and distributing videogames linked to its entertainment properties around the world over the next two years.
The company said gaming is the focal point of its entertainment strategy but analysts said the investment was risky as the industry has a high rate of failure.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Creative Operations Manager Guru Careers £27 - 32k, Based West Drayton, Greater London (UB7)