Commission recommends drastic cut in Sky's ITV stake
LONDON - The Competition Commission has recommended that BSkyB be forced to reduce its 17.9% stake in ITV to less than 7.5%, according to the official report published by the government today.
The other option was for Sky to sell its entire holding in ITV, but the commission preferred a partial divestment as "least intrusive" and "more proportionate" option.
It argued that below 7.5% "there would be no realistic prospect that BSkyB would be able to exercise material influence" on ITV.
As a reinforcement measure, it has also recommended that Sky should give undertakings that it will neither seek nor accept representation on ITV's board.
The next step is for any interested party to make further representations on the report by January 7, after which John Hutton, the secretary of state for business, will announce a final decision on January 29.
Sky issued the following response to the report: "We note the publication of the report and we are considering its contents carefully. The next phase of this process lies with the secretary of state. We will be making representations to him in due course."
If it has to reduce its stake to 7.5%, Sky would stand to lose around £190m of the £940m it paid for the 17.9% holding in November last year.
ITV said: "ITV welcomes the publication of the Competition Commission's report today and awaits a final decision by the secretary of state in due course."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- In-House Graphic Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Insight Director, Technology & Financial Jarlett de Grouchy £65000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Sales Executive - Performance & Brand - Emerging Tech Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Strategist Zebra People £300 - £400 per day, London (East), London (Greater)