England match nets 9.1m viewers on BBC One
LONDON - BBC One's live coverage of Fabio Capello's first game as England manager netted an impressive 9.1m viewers, according to unofficial overnight figures.
Despite the crushing disappointment felt after England's failure to qualify for this summer's Euro 2008 tournament, under previous manager Steve McClaren, interest in England's national football team remains high.
The audience for the match, which saw England labour to a 2-1 victory over Switzerland, trounced the competition on rival channels with a 35.9% share of the audience during the game, which kicked off at 8pm.
However, Channel 4 still put in a strong performance despite the popularity of the football.
Its property programme, 'Relocation, Relocation', which is now at the half-way point of a new series, brought 2.8m viewers and a 10.9% share as the action from Wembley got under way. Including Channel 4+1's time shifted audience, the show attracted 2.9m viewers and an 11.9% share.
'Grand Designs' pulled in 3.5m viewers and a 13.7% share, as the second half of England's friendly began, winning the 9pm slot outside of the football coverage. Including Channel 4+1's time shifted audience, 'Grand Designs' was watched by 3.8m viewers and a 14.8% share.
Channel 4's 'Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares USA' held its audience from last week, with 3.2m viewers and an 18.3% share of the audience at 10pm. The audience grew to 3.4m viewers and a 19.4% share on Channel 4+1.
ITV1's six-part drama 'Honest' drew a disappointing audience for its penultimate episode, with 3.2m viewers and a 12.7% share at 9pm.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - Events & Experiential Live Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits, West Midlands