Africa Cup of Nations boosts Eurosport audience
LONDON - Eurosport received its highest audience figures to date for this year's Africa Cup of Nations, which was won by Egypt, as 80.5m viewers tuned in to watch parts of the tournament.
The 80.5m figure represents the number of different individuals across Europe who watched at least 1 minute of the tournament, which was staged at four venues around Ghana between January 20 and February 10.
Audience figures were up by 15% on 2006, when 70m tuned in. They were up 36% on 2004's competition, which was watched by 59m people.
The Egypt versus Cameroon final alone was watched by an average of 3m viewers per quarter of an hour, with a peak at 4.3m viewers for the last 15 minutes of the match. Egypt beat Cameroon 1-0 to take the cup home to North Africa.
Eurosport, which has broadcast the event since 1994, aired 32 of the matches live and each of these games were seen by an average of 1.3m viewers.
Laurent-Eric Le Lay, chairman of Eurosport Group, said: "The Eurosport Group is a committed partner of the Africa Cup of Nations, having broadcast live all tournaments since 1994.
"[It] is one of the jewels of our football offer and we are proud to afford it great exposure and promotion across 59 countries in Europe."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London