Africa Cup of Nations boosts Eurosport audience
LONDON - Eurosport received its highest audience figures to date for this year's Africa Cup of Nations, which was won by Egypt, as 80.5m viewers tuned in to watch parts of the tournament.
The 80.5m figure represents the number of different individuals across Europe who watched at least 1 minute of the tournament, which was staged at four venues around Ghana between January 20 and February 10.
Audience figures were up by 15% on 2006, when 70m tuned in. They were up 36% on 2004's competition, which was watched by 59m people.
The Egypt versus Cameroon final alone was watched by an average of 3m viewers per quarter of an hour, with a peak at 4.3m viewers for the last 15 minutes of the match. Egypt beat Cameroon 1-0 to take the cup home to North Africa.
Eurosport, which has broadcast the event since 1994, aired 32 of the matches live and each of these games were seen by an average of 1.3m viewers.
Laurent-Eric Le Lay, chairman of Eurosport Group, said: "The Eurosport Group is a committed partner of the Africa Cup of Nations, having broadcast live all tournaments since 1994.
"[It] is one of the jewels of our football offer and we are proud to afford it great exposure and promotion across 59 countries in Europe."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London
- PPC Senior Executive - Big Brand - PPC Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Graphic Designer:(Fashion,Retail,Conceptual,Print, Digital) Creative Recruitment £23000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Paid Media Account Manager - Paid Search PPC - Agency Leader Ultimate Asset £28000 - £38000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- PR Senior Account Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £26000 - £33000 per annum, Manchester
- Biddable Paid Social Manager - Paid Media - FMCG Client Ultimate Asset £30000 - £40000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London