BBC names successor to Evan Davis as economics editor
LONDON - The BBC has appointed Stephanie Flanders, currently economics editor for 'Newsnight', to succeed Evan Davis as BBC economics editor.
Her appointment follows the move of Davis to the 'Today Programme' on BBC Radio 4.
Flanders is a former speech writer and senior adviser to the US Treasury, where she worked on the management of emerging market financial crises along with other global economic issues from 1997 to 2001.
She was principal editor of the United Nations' 2002 Human Development Report in New York before being appointed economics correspondent of 'Newsnight' that same year.
Prior to that, between 1994 and 1997 she was a leader writer and economics columnist with the Financial Times in London and has also worked as a reporter for the New York Times.
Her other experience includes working as an economist at the London Business School and subsequently at the Institute for Fiscal Studies.
Flanders said: "Evan is unique -- and not an act that any sensible person would want to follow. But then nor is BBC economics editor a job that you turn down. I'm thrilled. And I am almost as tall as him, which helps."
Jeremy Hillman, editor of the economics and business centre in BBC News, said: "Stephanie has a formidable track record as an economist and journalist. She will bring huge depth and insight to the role at a time of significant global and domestic economic uncertainty. She will also make a strong addition to the team of senior BBC editors and play a central role in leading and shaping the BBC's coverage across the UK and across the globe."
Helen Boaden, director of BBC News, said: "Stephanie has a terrific track record and will build on her reputation at Newsnight for bringing clarity, authority and wry humour to this important but difficult area."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Media Business Director PFJ £70000.00 - £90000 per annum, London
- PERFORMANCE PLANNING DIRECTOR - MOBILE BRAND! Ultimate Asset £45000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Mid Weight Graphic Designer - Consumer agency JEFFERSON £28-35k plus benefits, SE Surrey
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Senior Digital Delivery Manager Harvey Nash £55000 per annum + package, Nottingham