Reuters marks fifth anniversary of Iraq invasion
LONDON - Reuters is launching a series of short documentaries on the web, called 'Bearing Witness', marking five years of covering the war in Iraq.
'Bearing Witness' features personal stories from Reuters journalists who have been on the frontline, as well as a timeline charting major events, interactive maps and graphs about casualties, troop levels and economics.
Since the Allied invasion in 2003, 100 Reuters correspondents, photographers and cameramen have worked to deliver news from the battlefield and from civilians whose lives have been affected by the conflict. To date, 127 journalists have been killed in the conflict, including seven working for Reuters.
Among those who tell their stories are veteran Middle East correspondent Samia Nakhoul, photographer Goran Tomasevic, and Dean Yates, who presently heads Reuters' Baghdad bureau.
There is also a film using dramatic moving and still footage taken by Reuters staff over the past five years, accompanied by interviews with those who have covered the conflict, including Ceerwan Aziz -- an Iraqi photographer who admits that his family does not know what his job is, because they would think it was too dangerous and ask him to quit.
On March 20 2008, it will be five years since US forces began bombing Baghdad in the "shock and awe" campaign. Saddam Hussein's regime lasted only 21 days into the invasion, but estimates of the number of Iraqi civilians dead due to violence during the first three years range from 48,000 to 600,000.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, Central London