Sugar Puffs ad accused of ripping off The Mighty Boosh
LONDON - Sugar Puffs has been accused of ripping off television show 'The Mighty Boosh' in its latest ad, which features the Honey Monster and his flat mate performing a singing ritual before eating their cereal.
Noel Fielding and Julian Barratt, the comedians behind the 'The Mighty Boosh', are reported to be speaking to lawyers about getting the ad pulled, according to a story in The Sun.
Hundreds of comments have been left on YouTube and many Brand Republic users have commented on the similarity between the Honey Monster's song and the "crimping" style used in 'The Mighty Boosh'.
One 'Mighty Boosh' fan said: "How dare they steal the crimp! Noel and Julian are the only crimpers in these parts...".
A Brand Republic user commented: "Oh my god... I know we all like 'The Mighty Boosh' but we don't rip it off so blatantly. That really really bad."
"Crimping" is the singing of short, random songs, which has become a trademark of the 'Mighty Boosh' series, featuring in every episode.
The Sugar Puffs ad, created by Bray Leino, marks the return of the Honey Monster character after an absence of five years and features the tagline "Feed the fun".
The ad is set to run until May, and then again from early July to mid-August.
Honey Monster Foods and Bray Leino declined to comment at the time of publishing on the accusations.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Project Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £28,000, Manchester
- Managing Partner / Client Services Director David Thatcher Recruitment £80-95k, Bristol