Iceland to sign Kerry Katona on new 12-month contract
LONDON - Iceland is signing former Atomic Kitten singer Kerry Katona to appear in its advertising for a further 12 months, despite recent tabloid controversies concerning the reality TV star.
It was thought that the frozen food retailer would axe Katona after allegations that she had taken drugs, which she denies.
In January, it was reported that Iceland was dispensing with, or at least scaling down, its advertising connection with Katona.
It was said that the constant tabloid reporting of the "car-crash" elements of her life, including drugs, debts, and breakdowns, had become detrimental to Iceland's brand values.
Critics argued that Katona had become bigger than the brand, with media coverage overshadowing rather than enhancing brand values.
However, it was also pointed out by some that Katona guaranteed front-page headlines. Iceland refused to comment on the speculation.
Iceland's ads, which are created by Tom Reddy Advertising, have recently used other stars including Jason Donovan and Coleen Nolan, adding fuel to the speculation that Katona would be dropped once her contract came up for renewal in March.
However, in a statement sent to Brand Republic, Iceland said: "We can confirm that Kerry Katona's contract is in the process of being renewed for another 12 months."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, South East
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/CA, South East region
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 per annum + Car/ Car Allowance, South East