TalkSport sacks James Whale over 'vote Boris' call
LONDON - TalkSport has sacked veteran presenter James Whale after he broke Ofcom's impartiality rules by urging listeners to 'vote Boris'.
After the show several people complained to Ofcom, which has rapped TalkSport over a similar case before.
In November last year it ruled TalkSport was responsible for a serious breach of the broadcasting code on impartiality in politics when phone-in host and MP George Galloway criticised a rival for the constituency of Poplar and Limehouse, Jim Fitzpatrick.
A TalkSport spokesman said Whale, who had been with the station for 12 years, had been "guilty of a gross error of judgment which we found to be totally unacceptable".
"After serious consideration, the station reached the decision that there was a clear breach of the rules and that we had no choice but to terminate his contract."
Max Rushton is filling in on Whale's 10pm-1am Sunday to Thursday show while TalkSport seeks a replacement.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Comms Account Manager: £35k Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Client Service Manager - Media Planning and Sponsorship PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London
- Graphic Designer:(Fashion,Retail,Conceptual,Print, Digital) Creative Recruitment £20000 - £23000 per annum, London
- Search Account Manager - The Leading Media Agency - PPC Ultimate Asset £30000 - £38000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London