Oxfam harnesses power of social media to end poverty
LONDON - Oxfam and Global Call to Action Against Poverty have joined forces and appointed specialist social media agency NixonMcInnes to launch a widget as part of their campaign to end poverty.
The new widget can be installed across multiple websites and in a variety of different languages. Initially it will installed on a number of partner websites to Gcap including ActionAid, British Red Cross, Cafod, Care International, Christian Aid, Make Poverty History, Unicef and VSO.
NixonMcInnes said campaigners will feel more connected with fellow activists around the world as they see messages come in from dozens of countries, and the number of people who have taken action grow.
Non-governmental organisations are increasingly using social media to help spread their messages virally across the web, raise awareness and recruiting new supporters to the cause in the process.
Karina Brisby, interactive campaigning manager at Oxfam, said: "Using this widget allows Oxfam to reach out to a wide audience of people who want to make a difference, but might not necessarily be aware that they can do this by visiting our website.
"If we put this widget on our site and other online spaces we can capture the energy of all who take part, no matter where or when they take the action.
"In the end it means that we are more effective at putting pressure on those in power to put an end to extreme poverty and suffering."
Will McInnes, the managing director of NixonMcInnes, said: "In harnessing the power of widgets Gcap and Oxfam have not only created a smart digital marketing campaign but also laid down the gauntlet to the majority of so-called fast-moving business brands who are still using the same tired and increasingly ineffective advertising-based marketing formulae."
Gcap is a diverse range of coalitions, community groups, trade unions, individuals, faith groups and campaigners, who are all committed to the fight against poverty. These groups have formed country-based coalitions in more than 100 countries who support and promote Gcap’s demands and enable concerned citizens to join with Gcap, to put pressure on their country’s leaders and decision makers.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Head of SEO & Content Marketing - Cheshire ASG £30,000 - £40,000 , Cheshire/ Merseyside