GMP’s lift ghost ad whips up media frenzy
SINGAPORE - A haunting YouTube video of two executives who encounter the ghost of an elderly woman in a lift in Singapore's CBD has made headlines in the city-state's media.
The story was first leaked to Singaporean media by three amateur ghostbusters who were searching for leads on their paranormal discovery.
The ‘Raffles Place Ghost’ video soon gained viral appeal as thousands rushed to download the video and online discussions began on blogs and forums to verify the video’s authenticity.
Two days later, the video’s notoriety was complete as two popular Chinese gossip dailies, the Shin Min Wanbao and Lianhe Wanbao, gave front cover space to the paranormal sighting while online hits grew to over 160,000.
GMP, a recruitment and HR consultancy, finally claimed ownership for the video on Labour Day, as Josh Goh, manager for corporate services at the consultancy, attributed the viral video to be part of a marketing drive to raise its profile. The idea was to expose the local workforce to the “many dangers of working late” in a tongue-in-cheek manner.
He said: “We firmly believe in and advocate work-life harmony. By surrounding the campaign elements around the idea of ‘No one should work late’, we want to remind people that the right career is about the right challenges, prospects, benefits and hours - one that allows you to enjoy your work and become more productive; hence reducing the number of late nights.”
Developed by McCann Erickson Singapore, the campaign also made the prime time news slot and, according to Goh, recruitment figures are “definitely on the up”.
Farrokh Madon, ECD at McCann Singapore, said: “It’s a fantastic example of how a big idea can magnify a small advertising budget.
This article was first published on Media Asia
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 + benefits, London