Netlog joins Google-led OpenSocial initiative
LONDON - European social networking site Netlog has joined OpenSocial, the Google-led initiative that plans to make it easier to develop applications for social media websites.
The deal means Netlog will allow social networking applications that have been developed using OpenSocial standards onto its site.
However, the OpenSocial applications will not be given automatic access to Netlog. New applications will have to pass a quality check before they are placed on a white list that users have access to.
While most applications will initially be developed in English, the social networking site intends to put a lot of effort into localisation, helping developers to convert their applications into various European languages.
Toon Coppens, co-founder and CTO of Netlog, said: "Developers can now easily tap into the Netlog audience of 35 million users across Europe using a global open standard.
"We are convinced OpenSocial is not only the best choice for developers and application providers, but also for our users who will have access to a white-listed range of the most useful applications."
Netlog also believes that joining OpenSocial will make its website more compelling for advertisers as companies will be able to engage directly with their customers.
Eric Tholome, group product manager at Google, said: "We're really happy that Netlog supports OpenSocial, and that Netlog users will now be able to take advantage of OpenSocial applications.
"OpenSocial is all about helping the internet become more social. Netlog's participation is a great step in that direction."
OpenSocial is a set of common application programming interfaces for developing applications that can be spread across multiple social networking websites.
The specifications were originally developed by Google and were released to the market in November.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Media - Client Director Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London
- Interim Customer Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London