Netlog joins Google-led OpenSocial initiative
LONDON - European social networking site Netlog has joined OpenSocial, the Google-led initiative that plans to make it easier to develop applications for social media websites.
The deal means Netlog will allow social networking applications that have been developed using OpenSocial standards onto its site.
However, the OpenSocial applications will not be given automatic access to Netlog. New applications will have to pass a quality check before they are placed on a white list that users have access to.
While most applications will initially be developed in English, the social networking site intends to put a lot of effort into localisation, helping developers to convert their applications into various European languages.
Toon Coppens, co-founder and CTO of Netlog, said: "Developers can now easily tap into the Netlog audience of 35 million users across Europe using a global open standard.
"We are convinced OpenSocial is not only the best choice for developers and application providers, but also for our users who will have access to a white-listed range of the most useful applications."
Netlog also believes that joining OpenSocial will make its website more compelling for advertisers as companies will be able to engage directly with their customers.
Eric Tholome, group product manager at Google, said: "We're really happy that Netlog supports OpenSocial, and that Netlog users will now be able to take advantage of OpenSocial applications.
"OpenSocial is all about helping the internet become more social. Netlog's participation is a great step in that direction."
OpenSocial is a set of common application programming interfaces for developing applications that can be spread across multiple social networking websites.
The specifications were originally developed by Google and were released to the market in November.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London