Tennis aces become superheroes in Sony Ericsson push
LONDON - Maria Sharapova, Ana Ivanovic and Serena Williams are turned into superheroes in a 'Charlie's Angels' -style global ad campaign for the Sony Ericsson Women's Tennis Association Tour.
The "Looking for a hero" campaign, created by WPP Group agencies Grey, Schematic and GCI Group, will be rolled out across 75 countries over the next 18 months and features over 30 players.
The TV ad asks the question "Looking for a hero?" and bills the tour's players as superheroes both on and off the court.
The spot begins with shots of 10 female tennis players, dressed in casual clothes, going about their daily lives. Each player receives a call on their Sony Ericsson phone and in 'Charlie's Angels'-style dashes off and re-emerges dressed in her tennis kit, ready to compete.
The focus of the first part of the campaign, which will begin to run globally at the end of August, is to elevate the star power of the tour's players and to drive awareness of the tour's end of season Sony Ericsson Championships in Doha Qatar, where the top eight singles players and top four doubles teams in the world will compete.
Sony Ericsson WTA Tour expects to invest $15m (£7.6m) in the campaign, which will also include print and digital ads, over the course of the next three years.
Over 30 players took part in the film and photographic shoot for the campaign, which took place at various locations in Rome at the start of the Internazionali BNL d'Italia tournament in May.
Serena Williams, who appears in the ad, said: "Women's tennis is a premier sport for all women athletes, and I think it was a great opportunity to have the best athletes, female athletes, get together and be part of such a wonderful advertisement."
Matthieu Mantovani, the commercial director of the ad, said: "Once I first received the brief my inspiration was to demonstrate the energy and high-intensity lives of these modern, successful, professional women.
"It is perhaps simple to point to features from the film world which helped shape and grow the vision but, for me, stylistically, elements of 'Charlie's Angels', 'Ocean's 11' and 'Mission Impossible' are reflected in this campaign."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Manager - Communication/ Branding to £35k Network Career Consultants £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London