Emirates drops in-flight magazines to save fuel
LONDON - Emirates, the Dubai-based airline, is planning to axe its printed in-flight magazines, newspapers and entertainment guides to save up to one tonne of weight on each Airbus A380 "super jumbo" flight.
The move is designed to help reduce fuel emissions and is part of its cost-cutting measures.
Emirates' printed materials include its Open Skies in-flight magazine, its Portfolio business magazine for first-class and business passengers, and its TV and radio guide.
To compensate for the lack of magazines, Emirates plans to feed similar content into its in-flight entertainment system, including news, features and information.
Emirates is the biggest customer of A380 super jumbos, with 58 on order. It will receive the first A380 next week and plans to put it into service a few weeks later.
The airline expects to make a reduction of two kilograms of paper weight per seat to substantially reduce each super jumbo's load.
Earlier this year, Emirates became an official partner of the International Cricket Council until 2015.
Through the partnership, the airline will have prominent branding and hospitality at all the major ICC tournaments, including the 2011 and 2015 ICC Cricket World Cups, ICC Champions Trophy and ICC World Twenty20.
The airline also sponsors Arsenal Football Club and their 60,000-seater Emirates stadium.
In March, Emirates consolidated its $150m (£75m) global media account into Publicis Groupe Media following a final shoot-out against the Omnicom-owned OMD.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London