Murdoch to launch six TV channels in India
LONDON - Rupert Murdoch is planning to invest $100m (£51.7m) in launching six new regional TV channels in India within the next 12 months.
The move will bolster News Corporation's presence in India, where it operates entertainment channel Star TV and has a 20% stake in Tata Sky, the third largest satellite TV operator.
The channels will broadcast in six cities, but Murdoch did not reveal their identity or the content planned for them.
Murdoch told the audience in Mumbai: "In the long term, the media and advertising outlook for Asia is tremendous as ... you see the emergence of a wealthy middle class."
However, he cited India's tough media ownership regulations as barring the way to News Corp investment in the country's print market. The maximum stake a foreign-owned company can hold in a newspaper is 26%, although entertainment TV ownership is not restricted.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Regional Marketing Manager, Automotive, East Anglia and Northern Home Counties Copeland Select £Competitive + Car , Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Suffolk