Microsoft fights back against Apple's PC stereotype
NEW YORK - Microsoft has hit back at Apple's geeky stereotype of a PC user in its 'Mac vs PC' campaign with an ad featuring a whole host of PC users including Microsoft staff, Bill Gates, and celebrity couple Eva Longoria Parker and Tony Parker.
The 60 second spot, created by Crispin Porter + Bogusky, launched in the US yesterday and marks the abrupt end to the Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates ads, which were widely panned by bloggers.
Microsoft insists the ads weren't pulled because of the criticism and that this was its plan from the beginning.
In the new ad it attempts to highjack the Apple ads, which involve "I'm a PC ..." and "I'm a Mac" dialogue between a geeky suited guy and a chilled out Apple user.
Microsoft's take begins with a PC user who looks very similar to actor John Hodgman who played the geeky PC user in the Apple ads in the US. He kicks of the ad by saying: "Hello. I'm a PC and I've been made into a stereotype".
The viewer is then introduced to PC users around the world including members of the public in a variety of jobs and celebrities such as 'Desperate Housewives' actress Eva Longoria, author Deepak Chopra and musician Pharell Williams who all say proudly "I'm a PC".
Bill Gates also features in the ad declaring: "I'm a PC and I wear glasses."
The spot ends with Microsoft's new tagline: "Windows. Life without walls."
The campaign also includes a website where visitors can upload videos and pictures of their stories which will be showcased on the site and used in future outdoor and banner ads.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Account Manager / Account Director Gemini Search £170 - £250 per day, City of London