Dorling Kindersley launches digital platforms for health content
LONDON - Dorling Kindersley, the illustrated non-fiction publisher, has unveiled two new deals focusing on the health market as part of its plans to convert its catalogue into digital formats.
The first deal brokered by DK takes content from the UK edition of the 'First Aid Manual', the only first aid manual to be written and fully authorised by St. John Ambulance, St. Andrew's Ambulance Association and the British Red Cross, and places it on a portable phone handset.
The medical resource is aimed primarily at travellers and the army, and will be on the UK market towards the end of 2008 as the ICE Phone (In Case of Emergency). The ICE phone's fold-out screens transfer the key step-by-step instructions of the Manual for on-the-spot and potentially life-saving support.
The second deal is to provide digital content for Dutch health portal Kiebeter. The content of DK's 'BMA Complete Home Medical Guide' will be made available in digital format on Kiesbeter, a public search engine for all areas of health and healthcare aimed at all adults in the Netherlands.
The portal was set up by the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport and provides direct and specific responses to healthcare issues posed by the public.
Tom Hall, head of digital licensing for DK, said: "We are delighted with these new deals, which really illustrate how well DK core content can extend to digital platforms. We are renowned for providing essential illustrated reference content on the family bookshelf, and we want to offer that bookshelf through as many channels as possible.
"Our partnership with Kiesbeter allows us to offer unbeatable family medical content to the Dutch public through a trusted web source. The ICE phone will take our 'First Aid' content out into the field, where that knowledge is most needed. We look forward to seeing the results of these new partnerships."
Dorling Kindersley is owned by media group Pearson and is part of the Penguin Group.
It also publishes the Eyewitness Travel and Rough Guides line-up, to health and fitness, business, sport and popular culture.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Brand Manager Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40,000 - £42,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Innovation Development Manager Stopgap £35750 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Social Content Producer leading London Digital Agency highly progressive social account Ramsden Road c.£40k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Secure Connectivity Product Manager Barclay Meade £60000 - £70000 per annum + bonus + benefits, Berkshire
- Digital Fundraising Analyst PFJ £34000.00 - £41500.00 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)