Tina Brown goes online with The Daily Beast
WASHINGTON - Tina Brown has made a foray into the world of online journalism after an established career as editor of Tatler, Vanity Fair and The New Yorker, by launching a site called The Daily Beast.
The website mixes original journalism, celebrity gossip and high-class photography in a blog-like setting, under The Daily Beast title, borrowed from the fictional newspaper in the Evelyn Waugh novel 'Scoop'.
Its line-up of original content includes a piece on Europe's financial problems by Andrew Neil, chief executive of Press Holdings and former editor of The Sunday Times, called 'Bastard Americans'.
Brown described The Daily Beast as "a speedy smart edit of the web from the merciless point of view what interest the editors."
Politically speaking, the site will produce a non-partisan account of American news, commentary and culture, landing somewhere in between fellow news aggregator websites like the right-leaning Drudge Report and the pro-liberal Huffington Post.
Brown said: "We're hoping that if you like the sensibility The Daily Beast brings to choosing news and opinion then you'll trust us to be the lens you view it through."
The Daily Beast, backed by Barry Diller's InterActive Corp, will be Brown's first publishing venture since founding Talk magazine, which folded in 2001 after a three-year run.
Brown became editor of Conde Nast publication Tatler in 1979 before being named editor-in-chief of Vanity Fair in 1984. Eight years later she accepted the company's invitation to become editor of The New Yorker.
The Daily Beast is presently in soft launch mode, carrying no ads as it builds an audience.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Marketing Partnerships Director PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- Assistant Category Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £27000 - £30000 per annum + + Bonus + Benefits, London