Lima new destination of choice for hard-pressed travellers
LONDON - With the travel industry bracing itself for spending cuts next year, online travel agent Opodo is predicting that Lima will be the big destination for long-haul travellers in 2009.
The thinking behind the prediction is that with people likely to take fewer holidays, they will be more adventurous with the destinations they choose.
Caroline Noble, director of Opodo UK, said: "We're noticing a trend for our customers to invest their time and money into destinations that are a bit further away, but perhaps cheaper when they arrive.
"It's likely they are taking the strength of the euro as an opportunity to visit places in non-euro zones -- destinations they might not have considered or have only dreamed of experiencing before."
At the same time, the company says that short breaks to Europe are declining in popularity.
The company has compiled a list of up and coming destinations based on bookings compared to last year. It found that Lima, Peru has doubled in popularity, Amman, the capital of Jordan, is up by 79%, and bookings for Cairo have risen by 76%.
Rounding out the top ten are Seoul, Varna -- the only European city in the top 10, Rio de Janeiro, Abu Dhabi, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong and Orlando.
Opodo's up-and-coming destinations for 2009
1. Lima, Peru - up 98%
2. Amman, Jordan - up 79%
3. Cairo, Egypt - up 76%
4. Seoul, South Korea - up 67%
5. Varna, Bulgaria - up 67%
6. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - up 60%
7. Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates - up 44%
8. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - up 43%
9. Hong Kong - up 38%
10. Orlando, USA - up 37%
11. Istanbul, Turkey - up 31%
12. Berlin, Germany - up 20%
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- SENIOR MARKETING MANAGER- Fashion retailer Success Digital £65000 per annum, London
- Client Director - Digital Agency - London £50-65k Adam Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Camden, London (Greater)
- Neolane Campaign Manager PFJ £300 - £400 per day, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital Marketing Operations Jarlett de Grouchy £45000 - £55000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager - consumer products ADLIB £38000 - £43000 per annum, Cornwall