Mobile spam incidents leap 25%
LONDON - Mobile spam is on the rise across the EU, with incidents of spam-related text messages, some containing worms and viruses, increasing almost 25% in the last 12 months.
Despite some mobile phone operators leading the way in deploying anti-spam technology, the number of people in the UK and across Europe receiving unwanted text messages grew 21.3% year on year, according to a new study from Airwide Solutions.
The problem is especially prolific in France, where the problem is growing 61.3% year on year.
The study also revealed that UK mobile phone users spend more on mobile content, such as games and picture downloads, than their EU counterparts.
The average UK user spends €6.89 (£5.86) on mobile content per year, compared to €6.07 (£5.16) in the rest of Europe.
Spain registered the highest spending on mobile phone bills with phone users spending on average €544 (£463) per year.
Italy recorded the highest spending on the handsets themselves, with an Italian mobile phone user paying on average €148 (£126) for a mobile phone.
Mobile phone users in the UK spend an average of £400 on their mobile phones per year, spending £340 on their mobile bill and about £60 acquiring their handset.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £32,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Direct Recruitment £32,000 +, London (Central), London (Greater)
- planning director > ATL > LONDON's BEST collectivo Up to £100,000 per annum + benefits, London