MySpace teams up with Google to expand network
LONDON - Social networking site MySpace has teamed up with Google and the internet giant's Friend Connect service to extend the reach of its login system MySpaceID.
MySpaceID, which is part of the MySpace Open Platform, makes it easier for MySpace's 127m worldwide users to connect with each other while they are on other websites.
It allows users to connect their MySpace profile data to partner sites, to find MySpace friends on partner sites, and publish activities from partner sites to MySpace, among other things.
As part of the agreement with Google, Friend Connect will become a component of MySpaceID.
Google Friend Connect allows website owners to offer their users access to social network features such as profiles and message boards. The service also enables users to access personal profiles they have built on other social networks.
The alliance between the two services further extends the reach of MySpaceID.
Chris DeWolfe, chief executive of MySpace, said: "We've seen the evolution of the web move from curated experiences to personalized start pages and now we're in the age of identity management.
"MySpace is uniquely positioned as the leader in the future of the global social web by both representing our users' social lives and by aggregating the world's people, content and culture. The MySpace Open Platform frames our vision for the future of the social web," said
MySpace and Google joined forces a year ago to promote a service called "OpenSocial," that competes against Facebook's online software programs.
David Glazer, engineering director at Google, said: "We're excited to work with MySpace on their integration of MySpaceID with Google Friend Connect.
"The beauty of open standards is how easy they make it for users anywhere on the web to connect with the people they care about."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- E-Commerce Manager Stopgap £45000 per annum, South East England
- Freelance Account Managers / Senior Account Managers, £NEG Fill Recruitment Ltd Negotiable, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per annum, London