DM industry invited to define role in digital age
LONDON - Direct marketing agency Entire has set up a website called 'What is DM?', which invites the direct marketing industry to discuss and develop a definition of what it does.
Entire wants commentary from agencies, clients and the wider industry to help develop a proposed definition of direct marketing.
Ian Stockley, managing director at Entire, said: "It has become startlingly clear that the blurring lines between online, offline, above-the-line and below-the-line have actually taken us to a point where no one is really clear what direct marketing means anymore.
"Indeed, those in the industry will be well accustomed to campaigns that contain no element of targeting or measuring, such as PR or advertising, purporting to be direct marketing.
"While there will be those who think this issue is simply a matter of semantics, we felt that it was time to pin our colours to the mast. To deliver clarity to agencies and clients. To establish a fresh, new definition of DM in the digital age."
Entire, whose clients include Tourism Ireland, Littlewoods, P&O Cruises and Reader's Digest, has proposed the following definition:
"Direct Marketing. Think of it as advertising that targets an identified audience with a specific proposition that harnesses the power of the brand and product or service.
"What really sets it apart is the call to action which allows the effectiveness of every communication to be accurately measured, even in multi-channel campaigns.
"This makes it an ideal vehicle both for customer acquisition and retention, through online and offline channels."
Visitors to the Whatisdm.co.uk website can vote on Entire's definition and post their own opinions.
The website was launched this week and so far about 90% of voters agree with Entire's proposed definition.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Copywriter - midweight to senior David Thatcher Recruitment £45-50k, London or Surrey
- Head of Art David Thatcher Recruitment £60-70k, Bristol
- Research Director - Consultancy Elizabeth Norman International £60000 - £70000 per annum + Bonus , London
- Senior Program Manager air recruitment Up to £75K (dependent on experience) plus benefits and bonuses, Central London