Carling extends sponsorship of League Cup until 2012
LONDON - The Football League has bucked the economic trend by renewing its sponsorship deal for the Carling Cup for another three years, which will see the beer brand continue to back the competition until 2012.
The new agreement, which is the largest in the competition's history, is the longest running competition sponsorship in domestic football.
The new deal extends the relationship to fourteen seasons, with Coors having sponsored this competition for nine seasons through its Carling brand and a further five through its Worthington's brand.
Lord Mawhinney, the Football League Chairman, said: "Considering the prevailing economic climate, it is extremely heartening to have the continued support of a widely respected brand like Carling.
"Together, we will look to continue the progress made by this competition in recent seasons."
Martin Coyle, director of Marketing for Carling, said: "This is great news. We are really proud to extend our association with the Carling Cup and to be part of this competition which has continued to go from strength to strength over the past few years -- consistently giving football fans, ourselves included, some truly memorable moments."
Last season's Carling Cup was won by Tottenham Hotspur, who defeated Chelsea 2-1 following a dramatic injury-time winner by defender Jonathan Woodgate.
Tottenham have reached the semi-finals in this season's competition, and are set to play Burnley in the New Year.
The other semi-final will be contested by Manchester United and Derby County.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Brand Manager - consumer products ADLIB £38000 - £43000 per annum, Cornwall
- Your next role selling to media agencies! Ultimate Asset £23000 - £25000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- CRM Planner The Great & The Good Up to £100k , West End
- International Marketing & Sales Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director - Top 10 Agency - Central London - c£48k+ Fill Recruitment Ltd c£48k+, Central London