Aberdeen Indy rolls out four more papers
Aberdeen's free weekly newspaper the Aberdeen Independent has
launched another four weekly paid-for local newspapers for communities
around the city.
The newspaper launched four papers - branded as the Gazette group - in
Stonehaven, Banchory, Ellon and Inverurie in April this year (Media
Business, 23 April).
The latest Gazette launches are in the towns of Fraserburgh, Peterhead,
Banff and Turriff. The 40-page tabloids will come out on Fridays, with a
cover price of 20p, carrying local news and sport plus big stories from
the Grampian region.
They will also carry seven-day TV listings guides and classified
advertising sections for motors, jobs, property and services.
Each paper will have an initial run of 1,500 - although there are plans
to increase circulation of the Fraserburgh and Peterhead editions over
time. The Gazette group can now offer a combined circulation of 12,000,
with a further 12 launches planned for the next couple of years.
Four staff from the Independent advertising sales team - Karen Wood,
Susan Maclean, Ashley Murray and Leigh Keith - have been charged with
bringing in local advertising, with national sales through
Paul Robins, managing director of the Aberdeen Independent, said
response to the first four launches from readers and advertisers alike
had been very positive.
'We're offering something much more modern than existing local
newspapers,' he said. 'The Gazette papers look better and have more
up-to-date editorial - and cost half as much as most weeklies.'
He added: 'Most of our readers are buying Gazettes as well as their
usual local paper - which is very encouraging at a time when most
weeklies are losing circulation.'
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Middleweight Designer Major Players £30000 - £35000 per annum + Pension & Life Cover, City of London
- Senior Brand Executive Ninesharp £120 - £130 per day, Bournemouth
- Senior Designer Major Players £35000 - £45000 per annum, City of London