National radio station for prisoners to be launched
LONDON - The Government has lent its support to a £2m scheme to create a national radio station to run in Her Majesty's prisons.
The station will be launched by a partnership between the Prison Radio Association, a charity backed by Channel 4 News presenter Jon Snow, and the Ministry of Justice headed by Jack Straw.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Justice said the creation of the station will allow the prison service to communicate messages and educational programmes. The ministry has ruled out adding any commercial angle to the station's remit.
It added the majority of the station's funding would be met by the charity and that the prison service now saves money as prisoners have to spend more time in their cells.
Despite the fact many prisoners already have access to a radio the Prison Radio Association formed in 2006 with the aim of educating prisoners and lowering reoffending rates.
Since the charity's launch a number of independent prison radio services have started up at UK prisons.
The Ministry of Justice was unable to confirm any further details about the content or likely playlists. But, in the spirit of media co-operation, Brand Republic has created its own top 10 for the enjoyment of the lags.
- Jailhouse Rock -- Elvis Presley
- I Shall be Released -- Bob Dylan
- Fulsom Prison Blues -- Johnny Cash
- Working on a Chain Gang -- Sam Cooke
- Locked Up -- Akon
- I Shot the Sheriff -- Bob Marley
- Jailbreak -- ACDC
- I Fought the Law -- The Clash
- House of the Rising Sun -- The Animals
- Prison Food -- Ben Folds
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Senior Digital Designer Network Career Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum, City of London
- Senior Digital Project Manager Purple Consultancy £38000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Senior Web Analyst Zebra People £50000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits, City of London