Sky boss talks of interest in UKTV acquisition
LONDON - BSkyB's chief executive Jeremy Darroch has expressed interest in buying Dave channel owner UKTV, which is 50% owned by pay-TV rival Virgin Media.
Speaking at a conference in Florida Darroch said content companies generally were in Sky's sights and went on to mention the 50:50 BBC Worldwide and Virgin Media joint venture by name.
Darroch said: "We will look at acquisitions if we think they can advance our strategy, areas like content have been a prime area of focus for us. There's been some speculation, just by way as an example, around UKTV.
"I don't know if that will come back on the market ... but I think that would be something we would look at."
Sky's declaration of interest comes amid speculation that a government-steered solution to the question of Channel 4's future funding may involve a transfer of ownership of UKTV, which owns 11 digital TV channels including Blighty and UKTV Food.
Some believe that UKTV could become an element of a tie-up between Channel 4 and parts of BBC Worldwide.
Darroch also said that Sky will persevere with its appeal against the Competition Commission's order to reduce its 17.9% stake in ITV.
He was pessimistic about the outlook for the economy in 2009.
"2009, on any level is clearly going to be difficult and so our thesis as a business, actually for some time, has been that the environment is going to remain challenging and ... will get worse before it gets better."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London