Radio 3 picks up best station gong at Sony Awards
LONDON - Radio 3 won the UK Radio Station of Year award at last night's Sony Academy Radio Awards, the first time it has taken the event's top accolade.
In addition to beating Radio 1 and Classic FM to the main prize, Radio 3 also picked up three more golds including the Music Special, and Music Programme awards.
However the evening also saw a fight back on behalf of commercial radio, which has struggled at recent ceremonies. In 2007 it only picked up nine awards out of a total of 33 on offer.
This year commercial radio stations won 12 awards in total and three out of the five of the station of the year awards. These included Kerrang and Fun Kids, which took the 1m-plus and the Digital Station awards respectively.
The loser of the evening was Radio 1, which failed to win any of its nominations, which included Station of the Year and Best Breakfast Show for Chris Moyles. The breakfast show award was won by Radio 5 Live.
Radio 1's failure was in stark contrast to the surprise winner of the evening, prison radio station Electric Radio Brixton.
The station won four awards including two golds for The Community and Listener Participation awards.
Electric Radio Brixton, which is only available within Brixton prison, is run by the Prison Radio Association (PRA). The majority of its output is produced by the inmates.
The wins will be a boost for the PRA who hopes to launch prison radio stations around the country. Questions were raised about whether this is worthwhile when the organisation announced its intention at the start of the year, as inmates have access to mainstream radio.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Client Development Manager Stopgap £40000 - £45000 per annum + bonus, London
- Client Development Director - Loyalty - London Stopgap £55000 per annum + bonus, London
- Head of Campaign Management Stopgap £65000 - £70000 per annum, London
- Senior Data Analyst Direct Recruitment £40,000 - £45,000, London
- Lead Data Planning Consultant Direct Recruitment £85,000 - £100,000, London
- Senior Data Planner Direct Recruitment £55,000, East London