Sir Alan Sugar and NS&I part company after five years
LONDON - National Savings & Investments will no longer be able to use its brand champion Sir Alan Sugar following his appointment as a government enterprise tsar.
Sugar's five-year run of appearances in NS&I's advertising has been ended by Cabinet Office rules prohibiting the use of political figures in government advertising.
Lord Myners, financial services secretary to the Treasury, confirmed in the House of Lords that Sugar would no longer be taking part in the ads. Myners added NS&I had spent £13.9m on advertising campaigns featuring Sugar.
Last year Sugar appeared in the campaign alongside personalities such as Bob Geldof, Stephen Hawking and Germaine Greer, who quizzed the entrepreneur on the organisation's product range.
Sugar ended each spot with the tagline "Where can you get all that? Only NS&I".
Sugar has always maintained that any payment he received from NS&I was passed on to Great Ormond Street children's hospital charity.
The appointment of Sugar as an enterprise tsar and Labour peer led to calls from the Conservative Party for the BBC to drop him from its reality show 'The Apprentice'.
The row subsided when Sugar and the BBC reached a compromise. Sugar agreed to avoid promoting government policy during the show.
Air Alan has denied his appointment was a "political thing" although the government confirmed he would be sitting in the House of Lords as a Labour peer.
Sugar started his first work for the government last month when he appeared in a government-backed event to support apprenticeships dubbed 'The Apprentice'.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Category Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, Sputh East
- Regional Assistant Brand Manager- Europe Ball & Hoolahan £25,000 per annum, South East