Asda ad for £70 bike pulled for 'dangerous' construction
LONDON - Asda has been left red faced after a TV ad for its self-proclaimed "cheapest bike in Britain" had to be pulled after viewers noticed the £70 product had been incorrectly assembled.
The TV advert, created by Fallon London, showed the forks on the bike have been fixed on the wrong way. The error was noted by the director of the Association of Cycle Traders Mark Brown in a comment on the Guardian website.
The launch of the bike followed Asda's Pedal Power initiative, an attempt to encourage cycling among Britons. However consumers purchasing the bike would have to attach the pedals, front wheel, handlebars and saddle to the frame themselves.
Brown said asking beginners to assemble bikes could be dangerous. He said: "Not even Asda know how to set up their own bikes.
"This is indicative of the problems which arise from what we in the bike industry call 'flat-pack bikes'. However unlike flat-pack furniture this could seriously damage your health.
"I believe this TV advert has now been pulled but it really goes to show how dangerous it is for these retail giants to move into non-food sectors where they have no expertise."
Asda confirmed that the TV ad had been pulled, and said Fallon was already working on a replacement.
A spokeswoman said: "As soon as we spotted the error, we put the brakes on the TV ad and pulled it. Our agency is back-pedalling as we speak and we will be wheeling out the new one tomorrow.
"Thankfully the thousands of customers that have already bought one have managed to correctly follow the instructions on how to assemble the bike, unlike us."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection £75K - £100K, Central London
- Brand / Senior Brand Consultant Rare Selection Salaries from £40K - £85K, Central London