Blinkbox signs BBC Worldwide as new content partner
LONDON - BBC Worldwide, the BBC's commercial arm, has signed a distribution deal with Blinkbox to supply the online video service with 300 hours of British TV favourites, including 'Doctor Who', 'Top Gear' and 'Gavin and Stacey'.
Some programmes will be available for free on an ad-supported basis, such as 'Hustle', 'Hotel Babylon', and 'Doctor Who', however other shows including 'Top Gear', 'Gaving and Stacey', 'Spooks' and 'Planet Earth', will be available to purchase.
Since the service launched in April 2008, Blinkbox has secured partnerships with major US Hollywood studios including Warner Brothers, Sony Pictures Television International, Twentieth Century Fox, Universal Studios and Paramount Pictures, and with an additional 15 independent producers.
Michael Comish, chief executive and co-founder of Blinkbox, said: "There's been a lot of hype around foreign companies coming to the UK to fill the void left by Kangaroo.
"The reality is the void has already been filled by a home-grown service: Blinkbox. We are UK-based, UK-financed and UK-staffed.
"The addition of BBC Worldwide as a content partner helps us to fulfil Blinkbox's mission to bring British audiences the best movies and TV online."
The BBC Worldwide deal gives Blinkbox's users access to more than 5,000 hours of US and UK programming in total.
Simon Danker, director of digital content partnerships at BBC Worldwide, said: "Audiences are demanding a wide variety of options of how to watch their favourite content.
"We're pleased that through Blinkbox, fans of TV classics such as 'The Young Ones', 'Doctor Who' and 'Planet Earth' will have another destination to watch these popular shows."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Media Senior Executive - Mobile - Leading Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- SENIOR DIGITAL PLANNER - INTEGRATED AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £70000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA